By continuing to use this website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies to personalise the services we offer you.
Brand
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Geolives forum
News:

Author Topic: Height recordings apparently wrong!  (Read 296 times)

livfoss

• Keen not-so-young hiker and cyclist
    • View Profile
Height recordings apparently wrong!
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:25:01 am »
I've just done a cycle tour in Holland using SityTrail NL. The GPS recording of the route on the map is accurate as always, but the summary of the elevation data is nonsense! For example, on one daytime summary, the app says I did 1427m uphill and 2643m downhill. Holland is notoriously flat, and has a lot of territory a few metres  below sea level! When I put this data into the SityTrail editor, it is soon corrected to uphill 118, downhill 115. The elevation profile ** from the GPS** pretty much looks like this more credible data. Is this a bug in the iOS app?

TIA

brassechr

• View Profile
Re: Height recordings apparently wrong!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:05:28 am »
Hello,

The elevation is computed from the data of the iOS GPS device. It May Occur Sometimes Some inaccuracies , DEPENDING on the GPS coverage of the road you do . In forest , elevation will be less precise for instance.

We are working on elevation profiles that works with NMT data . If you send your trail on our servers , the elevation data will be replaced by the NMT data , becoming more accurate. The uphill and downhill information will be also more precise.

For elevation profiles on smartphones and tablets , we are still working on it .

Regards.

livfoss

• Keen not-so-young hiker and cyclist
    • View Profile
Re: Height recordings apparently wrong!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:22:51 am »
I have not analysed the original GPS data, but I could. My guess is that there will not be any inaccuracies of this magnitude, and the information displayed on the iOS app is just wrong. Would it help if I did this analysis?