By continuing to use this website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies to personalise the services we offer you.
Brand
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Geolives forum
News:

Author Topic: Export of GPX In other formats, plain text, CSV, more interchangeable  (Read 1928 times)

Mweelrea

• View Profile
How about a export feature of the GPX file information .... but in a different format ... plain text, CSV or formats that can then easily be imported into a separate spreadsheet (Excel, or Numbers).

Why would this be useful ? well the customer could then use that data and customise the spreadsheet to calculate OFFLINE navigational information as a management tool. Data like From/To waypoint names, Mag Bearing, Distance, time, height, etc and make estimates of the times taken on each section of the walk and therefor overall times etc.

I have used this very successfully with GeoLives Editor exported GPX files, but I had the overhead of converting GPX into a CSV and then taking control of Excel. However the results added so much more value to the product and route creation and planning ! One could then format the layout of the sheet to whatever suited you and then print or share as a field backup guide.

Hey, you could even provide a basic Excel template, and get people sharing additional templates? There are many people very competent with creating spreadsheets.

However the key asset it adds is it allows the user more control to customise, format the presentation in a way that adds value to  a walk, bike, ski journey, whatever.
I know that in previous products attempt were may to create route plans, however they were simply poor attempts and failed to address issues with detail and clarity which is needed if you in the mountains and a gale is blowing. Best to let the user customise that who has the practical experience.

Walter

Mweelrea (Walter)

pscheven

• Developer and support manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Export of GPX In other formats, plain text, CSV, more interchangeable
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:16:39 am »
Hello.

Thank you for this request.

We add this feature request to the list of features requests from our customers.

However, we can't promise you that this feature will be implemented in the near future.

Best regards.
Patrick Schevenels.
Developer and support manager
Geolives S.A.

Mweelrea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:44:29 pm »
Thanks for you reply. Upon reflection I think the solution lies in some of the powerfull add-ins or tools that are provided in Excel, PowerQuery., Pivot Tables  etc and the possibility of automating those and would also allow Excel to accept slightly different formating of GPX submitted files, which on the surface appear the same ... but use different internal names for the data sets.

Simple suff like Route or Trails, Tracks ? <rte> which seem to be impliment slightly differely by various vendors.

Walter

Mweelrea (Walter)

Mweelrea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:15:04 pm »
Just want to say one more thing.

If sityTrail had a file method that exported a simply formatted file containing Horizontal distance between each waypoint, Mag Bearing (with user correction for variation), height, and the waypoint names,as a file and NOT a print out, that would be all I need and many others would need to make a route with time and distance estimates.
MapSource and Basecamp present that information in that way, but again what's missing is the simple file export.

I think you do may it already within Geolives, the part that is  missing is the simple file format that could be imported in to ANY spreadsheet, Google Sheets, Apple Notes, Excel of course to customise and format to whatever level the user needs.
The lon. lat. would have been effectively translated into Distance and bearing, which would need a bit more techical calculations in the spreadsheet otherwise..

Sorry to emphaise this .... and Yes I know, I know, its on the back burner as far as features are concerned.
Just passionate about this!

Walter

Mweelrea (Walter)

pscheven

• Developer and support manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:30:39 am »
Hello.

Thank you for this request.

We have well added this feature request to the list of features requests from our customers.

We will tell you if we plan to implement it.

Best regards.
Patrick Schevenels.
Developer and support manager
Geolives S.A.