By continuing to use this website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies to personalise the services we offer you.
Brand
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Geolives forum
News:

Author Topic: Android 4.4 prevents saving files to geolives folder on SDcard  (Read 2367 times)

ed.hitchcock

• View Profile
Android 4.4 prevents saving files to geolives folder on SDcard
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:36:39 am »
A 'feature' of Android 4.4 is that users cannot save to the external SD card.
Sitytrail seems to be able to do this for map data.
But I cannot save gpx files to the gpx_import directory for importing.
Is there a way around this problem?
Or can a fix be  made?

Ed

pscheven

• Developer and support manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Android 4.4 prevents saving files to geolives folder on SDcard
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:03:40 am »
Hello.

Is your storage location set to android/data/com.geolives subfolder of your external SD card?

You can check it by choosing "Settings" > "Storage location" in the application (a message appears on the bottom of the screen to show the current storage location).

Thank you.

Best regards.
Patrick Schevenels.
Developer and support manager
Geolives S.A.

ed.hitchcock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:17:20 am »
Hi pscheven
The choice offered is between internal storage and external SD card.  I've chosen external SD card.

The problem is that under Android 4.4 users can no longer save anything to the external SD card.  Hard to believe but true.  Somehow its set up so that apps can do it.  I have two Samsung SM-T310 8" tablets.  Both came with Android 4.2, and they have been upgraded to 4.4.  Both are set to store data on external storage, and I can download maps with either.  I also have Sitytrail world, netherlands, belgium, and trial version of switzerland.  All have the same problem I think, although I have not thoroughly tested them all.
With each app I have found under android 4.4 that I cannot save to the external SD card, so I cannot import gpx files.

I suggest that (unless you can convince google to change the rules) you include the gpx_import directory(-ies) somewhere in internal storage so that they are accessible.

I've recently started using iphigenie which allows import files to be selected from the download directory.

pscheven

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:15:00 am »
Hello.

Thank you for your answer.

We add this suggestion to our list of features requests for future versions.

In the meantime, you can simply choose the GPX file you need to open, for example in the "Download" folder and choose to open it with our application, however you have to open the files one by one.

Sorry for any inconvenient caused.

Best regards.
Patrick Schevenels.
Geolives S.A.

DeeDee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 07:51:01 am »
Hello.

Is your storage location set to android/data/com.geolives subfolder of your external SD card?

You can check it by choosing "Settings" > "Storage location" in the Penomet application (a message appears on the bottom of the screen to show the current storage location).

Thank you.

Best regards.

Mine never seems to save to here, in the settings area it never seems to remember my setting.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:40:05 pm by DeeDee »

pscheven

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:15:32 am »
==> DeeDee

Hello.

When you choose the external SD card in "Settings" > "Storage location" preference in the application and you quit and launch the application again, is the setting immediately forgotten by the application or is it forgotten only some time later (after launching the application several times)?

In order to keep this setting saved, before launching the application, please always check (for example with a file explorer / manager application) that the SD card is available before launching the application.

If the SD card is not available, the applications changes storage location automatically to internal drive.

If the problem persists, can you please follow these steps :

1) Backup important tracks to your account on the server
2) Uninstall the application
3) Remove all directories with name starting with "geolives" on the root folder of your internal drive and your SD card (if they exist)
4) Reinstall the application
5) Choose the external SD card as storage location

Thank you.

Best regards.
Patrick Schevenels.
Geolives S.A.