By continuing to use this website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies to personalise the services we offer you.
Brand
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Geolives forum
News:

Author Topic: I am suddenly asked to register my devices - urgent help required!  (Read 1863 times)

livfoss

• Keen not-so-young hiker and cyclist
    • View Profile
I am suddenly asked to register my devices - urgent help required!
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:05:09 pm »
I have never had more than four devices using the SityTrail iOS application. I used one of them a couple of days ago (it was an iPhone) without problems, created a couple of trails and uploaded them. Today when I load the app on my three current devices, I am asked to register on each one, but when I try this, I get a message saying I've already registered 5 devices! On the MyAccount page of the SityTrail web site, there is a list of SEVEN devices. None of my actual device IDs are shown. What do I do now? How did this happen? It is true that I have updated two of my devices to iOS 7 in last 24 hours, but the other, and old iPod, cannot be updated. What is the solution?

I have also emailed this message direct to support.

pscheven

• Developer and support manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I am suddenly asked to register my devices - urgent help required!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:53:51 am »
Hello.

In the "My account" page on SityTrail website, you can delete your old device registrations by clicking the "X" button next to each device to delete.

You will then be able to register your new devices.

When you upgrade or restore a device, its device ID may change, that's maybe why you have old IDs registered on your account.

Best regards.
Patrick Schevenels.
Developer and support manager
Geolives S.A.

livfoss

• Keen not-so-young hiker and cyclist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:49:43 am »
Thanks for the quick reply. This is odd behaviour, isn't it? I assume that I got seven entries in my 'My Devices' list because SityTrail silently added them (thus exceeding the maximum) and never deleted any. It's a surprise for a user, to say the least: it also implies that if you take your device into the field (without an internet connection) after an update, it may suddenly not work. I think you need at the very least a big warning on the update page in the store (although now iOS 7 offers silent update, so maybe that wouldn't work).

This morning I followed the instructions to delete the 'old' devices, and found that one of my devices apparently registered itself automatically (I could use it straight away) and two didn't, which was even more confusing. I also renewed the 'My Devices' page a few times, but so far only two out of three devices are shown. SityTrail is certainly working on the device that isn't shown (an iPad2). Not sure if this matters or not, but it seems wrong.

Incidentally, under iOS, I don't think one's device ID ever changes - it's wired in, so to speak. I don't know anything about Android.

pscheven

• Developer and support manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:10:20 am »
Hello.

On iOS, Apple has changed the policy for developers about device identifiers, so we cannot obtain the true device identifier anymore, we have to generate one for our application based on the characteristics of your device.

This problem cannot occur when there is no Internet connection because this check only occurs when there is an Internet connection.

Our applications don't register automatically on your SityTrail account, they always ask you if you want to register them on your account.

In order to check which devices are really registered on your account, you can compare the device IDs registered on your account to the ones which appear in the registration screen of the application on each of your devices.

If there are additional unused or unknown devices, you can delete them from your account. If the problem occurs again, we advise you to change the password of your account because someone else may be using your account without your permission.

Thank you.

Best regards.
Patrick Schevenels.
Developer and support manager
Geolives S.A.