By continuing to use this website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies to personalise the services we offer you.
Brand
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Geolives forum
News:

Author Topic: I think the help files / user interface of the app could be clearer  (Read 1238 times)

livfoss

• Keen not-so-young hiker and cyclist
    • View Profile
I am fond of your iOS app, and use it for walking and cycling. However I often find that I have forgotten (or never knew) the fine detail about how the app works, and I get into a muddle while using it. Of course this could just be me being slow, but I believe it would be easier for people like me who use the app quite intensively and then put it aside for weeks or months, if there were more 'scenarios' in the Help files.

To give an example, I went on a bike ride recently with the intention of using the iOS app to record my trail on the local IGN map. I hoped also to record a marker at certain specific point (like a summit) and to incorporate a few photos. I didn't want to look at the iPhone while I was riding, so I wanted it safely stored in my bike bag with the screen black, just being taken out and woken for the additional activities mentioned.

All this proved surprisingly difficult: firstly, from the map display, it wasn't obvious how to start the recording; and when I found out how, it took some time to realise that the app has to know that the GPS is locked on before you can start. Next, I got to the top of the hill and wanted to very quickly put in marker with a name. I didn't find an intuitive way of doing this, so I searched in the menu and found it somehow, all the time being scared that I had stopped the recording. As to taking a photo, I never found out how to do it.

If someone had imagined the needs of a cyclist like me (or a walker, runner etc) and spelt out exactly what you need to do to get the maximum out of the app in that particular mode (including short cuts, and which icons to touch and which to leave alone - I don't find the function any of them particularly obvious from the graphic), this would be very helpful IMHO.

Just a suggestion - I will of course continue to try to understand all the functionality of the app the old fashioned way.

HTH

pscheven

• Developer and support manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I think the help files / user interface of the app could be clearer
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:37:07 am »
Hello.

Thank you for your remarks.

Are you using the latest version of our application (9.5)?

You will find the latest version of the user guide of this application here: http://forumen.sitytrail.com/index.php?topic=576.0
It is also available directly from the application from the "Help" icon.

Can you please read this user guide and contact us again if you have any other question?

In the future, we will keep improving our user interface to make it easier to understand and to use.

Best regards.
Patrick Schevenels.
Developer and support manager
Geolives S.A.